First, to determine which side the problem is on (teacher or student), please click here to run a network test: https://network.callstats.io
The person with the connection issue should continue on to the troubleshooting steps below.
Connection Issue Troubleshooting Steps
- Make sure all other applications which may use audio and video are completely closed - e.g. Skype, iTunes, etc.
- Make sure all other programs or apps are completely closed and not running in the background.
- Make sure your computer or device is fully charged or connected to a charger.
- Click the Video Quality button in the header to lower the video quality of the call. Please note that this option is available for teachers only: the teacher controls this and the teacher should lower quality. The quality is then lowered for both teacher and student.
- Switch browsers (Live Lessons supports Chrome or Firefox) Log out of your Busuu account and log back in to try again
- Completely restart your computer/device
- If you have another computer, try switching devices
- Use only Chrome or Firefox browsers, and make sure you have updated the browser to its latest version. If you aren't sure which browser version you are running, this is a great resource: https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
- Check chrome://settings/content/camera and chrome://settings/content/microphone to make sure Busuu is not listed in the blocked area.
- Disable any Windows Firewall, Windows Defender AntiVirus programs (McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Kaspersky, Avast, etc) as these programs can sometimes block access to the other user.
- Confirm that your microphone and camera are working by clicking on Equipment Settings
- Try switching to a different Wi-Fi network
- If you're in China, see this article: http://support.verbling.com/en/articles/3292744-how-can-i-connect-to-verbling-from-mainland-china
- If you're in a country with restricted internet, consider using a VPN (please confirm that VPN use is legal in your country before using)
- Try updating your computer’s operating system.
IMPORTANT: In case none of the above helped, please enter the lesson using the Chrome browser, and when the issue occurs, follow these advanced troubleshooting steps which will show us the exact error that's occurring on your side. Here's how to do it:
- Right click on the screen when the problem occurs.
- Click 'Inspect'
- Click the 'Console' tab
- Take a screenshot of all the text you see there. The red text shows us the errors that are happening.
Send the screenshot to our support team via the Help button in the Busuu Live Lesson classroom along with the link to the lesson where the problem occurred. Alternatively, you may email it to firstname.lastname@example.org